Video từ vựng 600 Từ vựng TOEIC– Lesson 14: Salaries and Benefits – HocHay
Cùng HocHay học tiếng Anh 600 Từ vựng TOEIC các bạn nhé!
600 Từ vựng TOEIC– Lesson 14: Salaries and Benefits
Từ vựng TOEIC theo chủ đề - Lesson 14: Salaries and Benefits
Read the following passage and write the words in the blanks below.
basis compensated ﬂexibility retirement be aware of delicate negotiated vested beneﬁts eligible raise wage
An important part of the job search often comes after an offer has been made. Papers should not be signed until you have successfully (1) _____ your salary and (2) _____. You want to make sure you will be adequately (3) _____ for your skills, work. and time. This is a (4) _____ and difficult area. You should (5) _____ what the salary ranges are at the company and in the field.
Some workers are not on a salary; rather they work for an hourly (6) _____. In some cases, workers who earn an hourly wage have more (7) _____ with the hours they work.
The trade-off is that the worker may not receive any beneﬁts. For those workers on a salary, the base salary that is negotiated is critical, because most subsequent pay raises come in small incremental amounts. Most companies have a review process either on an annual or semi-annual (8) _____. As a result of the review, an employee may receive a (9) _____.
Each employee has a unique situation. Health insurance coverage and (10) _____ plans may be essential to some employees, whereas they are not important to others. Many companies will offer benefits in such a way that it is to the employee’s advantage to stay with the company for a longer period of time. Employees may not be (11) _____ to sign up for a retirement plan until they have been with the company for one year and employees are not fully (12) _____ in these plans until they have five years of service under their belts. Some bonus plans are paid out over a period of years. Vacation time increases after more years of service.
5. be aware of
Word Families - 600 Từ vựng TOEIC – Lesson 14: Salaries and Benefits
Word Practice - Từ vựng TOEIC – Lesson 14: Salaries and Benefits
Part 1 Photo
Look at the picture and listen to the sentences. Choose the sentence that best describes the picture.
Part 2 Question - Response
Listen to the question and the three responses. Choose the response that best answers the question.
Part 3 Conversation
Listen to the dialogue. Then read each question and choose the best response.
4. Why is the man disappointed?
(A) His health coverage is poor.
(B) He asked for too much compensation.
(C) He doesn't know how to negotiate.
(D) He doesn’t earn enough money.
5. How long has he been working at the company?
(A) Two months.
(B) Four months.
(C) Six months.
(D) Nine months.
6. What benefit does he get?
(A) Life insurance.
(B) Health insurance.
(C) Paid vacation.
(D) Regular raises.
Part 4 Talk
Listen to the talk. Then read each question and choose the best answer.
7. How often are raises given?
(A) Once a year.
(B) Twice a year.
(C) At an employee’s request.
(D) Whenever an employee is eligible for a raise.
8. Where should employees go to learn more about wage increases?
(A) The Employee Handbook.
(B) Their paycheck stubs.
(C) Their contract.
(D) Their supervisor.
9. How many days of paid vacation does each employee get?
Part 5 Incomplete Sentences
Choose the word that best completes the sentence.
10. All temporary workers are paid on an hourly _____ and receive no benefits.
11. What is the company’s policy on _____ for part-time workers?
12. The tired employee hoped that she would be _____ for all the long hours she kept and weekends she worked.
13. Sometimes the manager is too _____ and his workers take advantage of him.
14. If the _____ continue into the evening, we will break for dinner at six.
15. No one is sure what will happen to the company when the president ﬁnally _____.
Part 6 Text Completion
To all union members:
Your union has been working for you. You may _____ (16) aware that we have been negotiating with management for improvements in the benefits package. Yesterday an agreement was reached on the following points:
1) All employees of the company will be _____ (17) for an increase in wages every six months. following a performance review. Reasons for refusal to give a raise must be carefully documented according to union guidelines.
2) Employees _____ (18) at one and a half times their usual hourly wages for overtime hours. Any time worked beyond 40 hours a week counts as overtime.
3) Part-time employees can now receive full health benefits. It is each employee’s responsibility to complete and submit the application forms. Part-time employees are also guaranteed five days of paid vacation per year. These two benefits apply to employees who work a minimum of 20 hours per week on a permanent basis.
(A) will compensate
(B) are going to compensate
(C) will be compensated
(D) have to compensate
Part 7 Reading Comprehension
To: James Porter
From: Helene Bourassa
Subject: Re: Beneﬁts questions
I will try to clarify for you your questions about retirement beneﬁts.
Time of retirement: The time at which an employee can retire is calculated on the basis of age and number of years of service to the company. An employee of the company can retire with full beneﬁts at age 55 if he or she has worked a minimum of 30 years for the company. Employees can retire at age 60 or above with 25 years of service to the company. Since you are younger than 60 years old and have worked for the company for 22 years, you won’t be eligible to retire for another few years.
Beneﬁts for your spouse: I know this is a delicate matter, but it is important to know about. If you die before your spouse, she will continue to receive full retirement beneﬁts for the rest of her life.
Health insurance: Retirees are eligible to receive health insurance. There are several packages to choose from, and I will send you brochures about them. Your spouse will also be eligible for health coverage when you retire. If you happen to have any dependent children under the age of 21 and living at home, they, too, will be eligible for health coverage.
I hope this answers your questions. Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you need any further information.
19. How old is James Porter?
(A) Between 22 and 25.
(C) Younger than 60.
(D) Exactly 60.
20. Who can receive retirement benefits after James dies?
(A) His children.
(B) His wife.
(C) All of his dependents.
21. Who can get health coverage when James retires?
(A) His 19-year-old son who lives at home.
(B) His 20-year-old daughter who lives with her spouse.
(C) Any of his children who want it.
(D) Only his wife.
22. The word basis in line 2 is closest in meaning to
23. The word delicate in line 7 is closest in meaning to
#hochay #hoctienganh #hocanhvanonline #luyenthitienganh #hocgioitienganh #apphoctienganh #webhoctienganh #detienganhonline #nguphaptienganh #tuvungtoeic #600essentialwordsforthetoeic #tuvungtoeictheochude